CA AB 2375
About the Act
AB 2375 Homeless children and youths and unaccompanied youths: housing questionnaire.
This act amends California Education Code section (Ca. Educ. Code §) 48851 with regards to the identification of students experiencing homelessness using a housing questionnaire, as outlined below. (Note: AB 2375 builds on additions and amendments made to the Ca. Educ. Code by AB 27)
Ca. Educ. Code § 48851 (Identification and Housing Questionnaire)
- Local educational agencies (LEAs) shall ensure that each school within the LEA identifies all homeless children and youth and unaccompanied youth enrolled at the school.
- LEAs shall administer a housing questionnaire to all parents or guardians of students and to all unaccompanied youth annually. By the end of the 2021–22 school year, LEAs will ensure that the questionnaire is based on best practices developed by the California Department of Education (CDE) pursuant to Ca. Educ. Code § 48852.5(f)(1)(A). (Note: See AB 27 for additional information)
- The housing questionnaire shall include an explanation of the rights and protections a homeless child or youth or unaccompanied youth has.
- The housing questionnaire shall be available in paper form.
- If the primary language of the student's parent or guardian or an unaccompanied youth is not English, either of the following shall occur:
- The housing questionnaire shall be made available in the primary language of the unaccompanied youth or the student's parent or guardian.
- An appropriate translation of the housing questionnaire shall be provided upon request by the parent, guardian, or unaccompanied homeless youth.
- LEAs shall collect the completed housing questionnaires and annually report the number of homeless children and youths and unaccompanied youths enrolled to CDE.
- View the full text of AB 2375
California Department of education (CDE) Resources
CDE: Model Housing Questionnaire and Related Resources
- CDE model housing questionnaire: This CDE sample questionnaire can be used by LEAs as is, or customized to meet local needs.
- CDE LEA Guidance for Completing the Model Housing Questionnaire: This CDE guidance provides additional information about the CDE model housing questionnaire and can be used to train and support staff with questionnaire implementation.
- CDE Housing Questionnaire Frequently Asked Questions: This CDE resource addresses frequently asked questions (FAQs) about California Education Code Section 48851 and the required implementation of a housing questionnaire.
- CDE Housing Questionnaire: Legislation and Guidance (recorded webinar): This August 2023 CDE webinar reviews California Education Code requirements for LEAs to implement a housing questionnaire and shares additional information about questionnaire implementation. View the webinar recording. | Download webinar slides.